Oxytocin is a brain chemical (neurotransmitter)
that induces a feeling of calmness, love, trust
kindness, and generosity.
It is produced in the brain then released in the blood,
but needs stimulation to be released.
Most people just associate it with childbirth and lactation, yet it is vital in many other ways.
This gem actively lowers stress hormones,
how wonderful is that.
It will reinforce intimacy and connection,
boost empathy and compassion,
even increasing trust and reducing fear.
Oxytocin even helps with wound healing and aides
in relieving pain.
Even depression and anxiety respond well to increased oxytocin levels.
How to get Oxytocin naturally
- Physical closeness- a 20 second hug produces optimal levels of oxytocin. (Don't be shy we can all use a hug)
- Pet therapy- of course you would expect petting your cat or dog would release oxytocin but even watching and being around animals can help. Of course that is if you respond well to animals.
- Emotional entertainment- we are talking about feel good movies and books, the kind where when you finish watching you have this warm fuzzy glow that says "all is well".
- Nostalgic experiences- like the smell that reminds you of something wonderful.
- Prayer/ meditation/yoga-these will benefit you in 2 ways they will reduce stress and increase oxytocin.
- Healthy fats
Depending on the amount of stress you have in your life, you may want to boost your oxytocin to help support your mind and body.
Inhibitors to oxytocin
Just remember connection is oxytocin.
So when you are feeling stressed or disjointed from those who are important
to you, try increasing your oxytocin with some of these suggestions
feel the difference.