If your child is not interested in sports or group activities, there are a few at home physical activities you can
engage your child in.
Also, keep in mind that kids model their parent’s behavior and really they just want to
spend time with you.
The best way to get kids active is by making it a family affair, where everyone is involved, and where it is not portrayed as a chore, but, as something that is fun to do.
· After dinner walks. Encourage your kids to take a walk with you around the block
after dinner each night. Bring the dog for some added excitement or make it a parent daughter/son walk where everyone walks together and spends some quality time.
· Nature hunts. Another fun way to encourage fitness is to create nature hunts where you will go out to look for specific things in nature.
A list can be made each week of things that need to be found and cool prizes that are awarded the winners.
Depending on the age of the kids, this can also be a great way to encourage child development, for example,
for younger kids the list might include black rocks or purple leaves,
and the search can yield both positive fitness and cognitive results.
· Household chores. Provide your children with a list of chores that they need to do everyday. Simple tasks such as vacuuming, picking up the family room, picking up all their toys, etc. are perfect for those short 15 minute bursts of activity.
· Play with your kids. Make time every day to play games with your kids. Depending on their age, the activities may vary, but, for young children playing hide and seek or tag in the yard is a good choice. For older children playing tennis or baseball are both good options.
· Allow your kids time to socialize. Give your kids time everyday to go out and
play with their friends. Socializing is important for proper development and is
guaranteed to get your kids moving and active.
· Set a good example! Children are followers, you need to lead by example.
If daddy runs every day, chances are your son/daughter will want to run too.
Go for a bike ride every afternoon and make sure your kids see how enthusiastic you are.
It will get them involved and excited to be doing something just like you.
Getting your children to live a healthier lifestyle and become more active is not all that
hard to do. It just takes a leader, an encourager, and a listener.
Typically, kids will not ever do what is good for them, you as the parent must keep
them on the right track, and set rules that will facilitate their health and wellness.
You need to make sure your children see you being active, encourage them to get
involved in a sport or go out with their friends, and listen to what they’re telling you
about their body and what they are interested in.