Everyone has conscious or subconscious
ideas that can become limiting beliefs
that stop us from achieving our goals
if we let them.
Sometimes these beliefs are instilled
in us in childhood and sometimes we create them ourselves.
An example of a limiting belief that
can get in your
way of success is how you see your health.
If you believe you will always struggle and always be sick, chances are you’ll set yourself up to be sick and struggling.
Your limiting belief that you’re sick and that you always will be sick becomes a
The same can be said about anything negative in
your life that limits you - whether it’s career, education,
or personal such as being healthy and of normal weight.
If you see yourself a certain way, it can be hard to change that view
and let go of that limiting belief.
Here are eight telling phrases that point to a limiting belief:
1. “It’s hopeless” – Anytime you use the word “never” is a clue that you’re focusing
on a limiting belief.
2. “I’m helpless” – When most people feel uneducated or helpless, they blame their circumstances instead of working to change them.
3. “It’s useless” – The idea that nothing you do will make a difference is that you believe that any action you take won’t make a difference. “It doesn’t matter if I work out an hour a day,
I won’t lose weight anyway.”
How do you know? Have you tried to do anything for longer than a couple weeks?
4. “It’s the universe” - Sometimes a limiting belief has to do with the idea that outside forces that you can’t control are at work keeping you down.
You do nothing because it is not in your power to change it.
This type of thinking can be very limiting and make you feel powerless.
5. “I’m worthless” – The idea that you’re not smart enough or good enough to do
what you really want can
be a very strong limiting belief system and seems to affect women more than men.
You feel you're not pretty enough, smart enough,
or good enough to have something, so you don’t take the steps to
achieve it, because you don’t feel that you deserve it.
6. “It’s genetic” – While there are certainly some instances where genetics play a
role in a person’s life,
the truth is that almost everything that is genetic can be fixed with the right mindset,
training, exercise, and outlook. You’re not stuck with your genetics,
but if you think you are, you may not try any of the things
to pull yourself out of the rut you’re stuck in.
7. “I’ll fail” – The truth is the fear of failure is something most people have as a limiting belief.
“I’m a bad public speaker so if I do it, I’ll be judged, and I’ll fail anyway so why try” is a common refrain. But, how can you set that belief in stone if you’ve not tried?
And if you have tried and failed, you survived
and you now have the opportunity to improve and own courage.
8. “I’m different” – The limiting belief about being different
is that different isn't bad. You don’t
want to be who you are because you’re different and you’ll be looked
at as different by other people.
You’re afraid to be who you are, and because of that you don’t even know who you are,
and you’re too scared to find out due to fear of rejection and ending up alone.
If you ever hear any of these phrases go through your head,
try to disconnect from them,
and turn them around to “why not me” instead of “why me.
Because the truth is, you’re not feeling anything different from anyone else who
has made goals and achieved them. The difference is in the doing, not the
intelligence or talent.